Griffith Stadium

From SportsPaper Wiki
Griffith Stadium
Location Washington, D.C.
Opened July 24, 1911
Closed September 21, 1961
Demolished January 26, 1965
Other Names National Park (1911-22)
Tenants Washington Senators II (1961)
Washington Redskins (1937-60)
Washington Senators (1911-60)

Griffith Stadium stood in Washington, D.C., from 1911 to 1965, between Georgia Avenue and 5th Street (left field), and between W Street and Florida Avenue NW.

The site was once home to a wooden baseball park. Built in 1891, it was called Boundary Field, or National Park after the team that played there: the Washington Senators/Nationals. It was destroyed by a fire in 1911.

It was replaced by a steel and concrete structure, at first called National Park and then American League Park; it was renamed for Washington Senators owner Clark Griffith in 1923. The stadium was home to the American League Senators from 1911 through 1960, and to an expansion team of the same name for their first season in 1961.

The venue hosted the All-Star Game in 1937 and 1956 and World Series games in 1924, 1925, and 1933. It served as home for the Negro league Homestead Grays during the 1940s, when it hosted the 1943 and 1944 Negro World Series. It was home to the Washington Redskins of the National Football League for 24 seasons, from the time they transferred from Boston in 1937 through the 1960 season.

The ballpark was demolished in 1965; the site is now occupied by Howard University Hospital.

List of credited publications

League Date/Season Team(s) Type
Major League Baseball 1935 Washington Senators Program
1936 Washington Senators Program
National Football League October 10, 1937 Washington Redskins vs. Philadelphia Eagles Program
December 13, 1942 NFL Championship (Washington Redskins vs. Chicago Bears) Program
December 4, 1949 Washington Redskins vs. Green Bay Packers Program
October 17, 1954 Washington Redskins vs. Philadelphia Eagles Program
October 9, 1960 Washington Redskins vs. Dallas Cowboys Program
Venue.png Venues Portal