Frank Youell Field
|Opened||August 26, 1962|
|Tenants||Oakland Raiders (1962-65)|
The stadium was a temporary home while Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum was being built. It was named for Francis J. Youell (1883-1967), an Oakland undertaker, owner of the Chapel of the Oaks, Oakland City Councilman, and sports booster.
It was located at 900 Fallon Street, on the grounds of what is now part of Laney College, next to the channel which connects Lake Merritt to the Oakland Estuary and adjacent to the Nimitz Freeway.
The Raiders had played their home games in San Francisco (Kezar Stadium and Candlestick Park, respectively) during their first two seasons. They played their first regular-season game at Frank Youell Field on September 9, 1962, against the New York Titans.
Frank Youell Field remained in operation and hosted some high school football games after the Raiders moved into the Coliseum. It was demolished in 1969 to make way for extra parking for Laney College.
Other cover appearances
|American Football League|
|Eastern Division||Boston Patriots • Buffalo Bills • Houston Oilers • Miami Dolphins • New York Jets|
|Western Division||Cincinnati Bengals • Denver Broncos • Kansas City Chiefs • San Diego Chargers • Oakland Raiders|
|Seasons||1960 • 1961 • 1962 • 1963 • 1964 • 1965 • 1966 • 1967 • 1968 • 1969|
|Venues||Alumni Stadium • Astrodome • Balboa Stadium • Candlestick Park • Cotton Bowl • DU Stadium • Fenway Park • Frank Youell Field • Jeppesen Stadium • Kezar Stadium • Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum • Mile High Stadium • Municipal Stadium • Nickerson Field • Nippert Stadium • Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum • Orange Bowl • Polo Grounds • Rice Stadium • San Diego Stadium • Shea Stadium • War Memorial Stadium|
|Related||All-Star Games • League publications • National Football League|